State of the Mac Builds – Part II

Hello again! A few weeks back we blogged about the state of the Mac cloud, and mentioned about working to get iOS 7 and Xcode 5 up and running. I’d like to take a moment to review what we have been working on lately and how we’re working on getting this live for you to use.

When we first started to work on the upgrade to Xcode 5, we realized that we had to update OS X as well as Xcode, since Xcode 5 requires at least OS X 10.8.4, and we were still running OS X 10.8.2. While we were working with Sauce Labs, our Mac infrastructure provider, to update to 10.8.4, we also decided to switch to their new virtualization platform. This would make the Mac cloud faster, more stable and the process of updating to 10.8.4 easier.

We expect Xcode 5 and iOS 7 support to be live in the Travis cloud no later than Thursday November 7th, if not sooner.

We are very sorry for the extended delay in providing Xcode 5 and iOS 7 testing to you. While working on this update we have also been working on ways to get these updates live much faster in the future.

A quick note on OS X Mavericks, which was also released recently: We plan to support OS X Mavericks, and will start working on updating to OS X Mavericks as soon as we have Xcode 5 and iOS 7 testing live.

Update: We are working with our infrastructure partner Sauce Labs on the final stages of bringing the Mac cloud up, including the configuration of the API and testing the updated OSX image. Due to this, the upgrade to Xcode 5 and iOS 7 has been delayed until tomorrow, Friday November 8th. We’re very sorry for this additional delay and will update the blog as soon as we have more news.

Update II: We are continuing to work with our infrastructure partner on the update. The setup is taking longer than expected, we anticipate the update to be finished over the weekend.